OK – as a new b and b owner, you’ve got the beds made, recipes set and web site up and running. Now what?
Here’s 10 great tips from experienced bed and breakfast owners that will cost you little or nothing and will help you get prospective guests to your door:
- Make sure any listing on a web site is completed in full, including as many pictures as allowed.
- Claim your space on Google, Yahoo and Bing.
- Add google analytics to your web site so you know how people are finding you – want search terms they are using and what sites they are linking to you from.
- On Trip Advisor, set yourself up as the b and b owner/property manager and maximize the information that you can post about your property for free. Encourage guests to leave a review.
- Let everyone you know you’ve become a bed and breakfast owner by creating or updating your profile on LinkedIN. This is another good place to ask people for recommendations for your B&B.
- Blog about your bed and breakfast – this provides you with the opportunity to provide potential guests with more information about your property and learn more about you as the owner; in addition, it provides an excellent opportunity to feature segments of your web site and offer links back to the whole page.
- Get active on social media. This is a great way to let people know what’s happening in your area, specials and packages you are offering, and a way of staying in touch with people.
- Put your business cards in all your rooms so guests can pick them up. Encourage them to keep them by putting a special offer on the back to be redeemed the next time they stay – it might be something as simple as a small container of chocolates, taking the tax off their next visit or breakfast in bed! Get creative, and encourage them to take a few extra to pass around.
- Add a small code to the bottom of your brochures before distributing them to various locations, so you know where people are picking them up from. This lets you know where to make sure the stock is kept up.
- And finally, don’t overlook the importance of word of mouth! Encourage people who have stayed with you to tell others what a great time they had when visiting and all the things there are to see and do in your area!
For more ideas, please see our previous post “Is your bed and breakfast ready for guests?“